Student Attendance System Using QR-Code
This paper aims to develop a digital attendance taking system using the QR Code technology. The main goal of this project is to eliminate the manual process of attendance taking mainly in colleges and universities. This system will help provide an efficient automated alternative to the expensive and complex attendance systems being developed and implemented.
In higher education institutions, student participation in the classroom is directly related to their academic performance. However, the majority of student attendance registration is still conventionally done, which is tedious and time-consuming, especially for those courses that involve large numbers of students. Over the years, attendance management has been conducted manually at most of the universities. To overcome the manual attendance issues, we proposed and implemented a smart attendance system with the aim to encourage the potential use of the Quick Response (QR) code as a future attendance management system, to track and record student attendance.
PROJECT OUTPUT VIDEO:
- Among others, regular attendance is a basic and most important criterion throughout the education system. Consequently, the student might lose the right to sit an exam if attendance criterion is not met. Moreover, if students exceed the number of allowed absences, they might also lose the right to sit final exams. Given that, the manual method which is currently used, give space for more calculation errors.
- In early years a punch card system was used for data storage, also known as Hollerith cards, through which companies were able to store and access via entering the card into the computer system. It is also commonly used nowadays as an attendance system in educational institutions. Employees wave their individual cards near a reader to punch in and out, ensuring the presence of the employee. There are quite a number of previous researches in the field of computer science developed students’ attendance tracking system to improve record taking in class using different technologies. For example, RFID or near field communication (NFC) technology.
DISADVANTAGES OF EXISTING SYSTEM:
- Existing system uses manual attendance which has lot of paper works and manually calculated and keep the records.
- Existing system which tried to develop web based student attendance system has the several flaws where there is no security and no uniqueness is done.
- Complex in nature.
- More time consuming process.
- More man power.
- Hardware devices are needed.
- We proposed and developed a better web-based system to help overcome existing issues. It is fully responsive to various computer systems users. The proposed model provides data security and whole class or individual student attendance data can be accessed quickly and easily, moreover, the report is automatically generated by the staff.
- The purpose of the internet-based attendance system is to computerize the traditional way of registering attendance and to provide an easier and smarter way to track institutions attendance nowadays, based on a unique code for each student known as QR code.
- At the beginning of each course, to confirm their attendance, students are required to scan their unique QR code assigned to them during their student registration. Based on this, the staff make the student attendance record and other necessary data will be recorded. The system will help a lot in improving student attendance in particular they need to attend and will save a lot of time.
ADVANTAGES OF PROPOSED SYSTEM:
- Our proposed model differs in a manner that should be easy to apply and quick in recording attendance during a class session; by focusing on creating a simple student attendance tracking system that can be used to take attendance which is both fast and affordable in comparison to the other methods.
- No hardware or additional devices needed.
- No complexity where everyone can easily use it. No coding knowledge or prior knowledge needed to use it.
- Since now no attendance sheet signature is required, so no other person can make an attendance on behalf of others as QR Code are unique for every student.
- QR-Code Generation
In this module, QR code is generated in backend using zxing-javase jar file and send to the student Email. Student need to verify the QR Code using QR code extractor to validate the authorized student.
In this module, Student can register their details to the database. After getting approval from staff then they receive QR-Code by register E-mail. After student passes the authentication process using QR code, then the student attendance will be registered to the database.
In this module, Staff can Approve/Reject Students after student registration and staff can access student details and view student attendance and also can search students attendance by date.
- System : Pentium i3 Processor
- Hard Disk : 500 GB.
- Monitor : 15’’ LED
- Input Devices : Keyboard, Mouse
- Ram : 4 GB
- Operating system : Windows 10.
- Coding Language :
- Tool : Netbeans 8.2
- Database : MYSQL